Seth Godin’s latest book The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly? (Amazon affiliate link) is simply outstanding. In it Seth shares how the story we know of the young Icarus, who ignored his father’s instructions not to fly too close to the sun, and as a result drowned after burning his wings, has been lost along the way.
According to him, people think the story says “don’t fly too close to the sun,” but that’s not what it used to say 150 years ago. Back then it also used to say “don’t fly too low, because if you fly too low, the mist and the water will weigh you down, and you will perish.”
So, basically the message we have been fed for years has been to stay low, don’t try and fly too high. In other words, we should just stay in our comfort zone, play it safe, do not make waves and just listen to the experts.
The book is about about forging your own path, not settling, pushing beyond what is expected, and connecting with other humans. This is a truly remarkable book and I strongly recommend you to read it.
Bryan Elliot had a very interesting conversation with Seth in which they went over some of the most important concepts from the book.
1. Seth Godin on risk taking, initiative, curiosity and much more
2. Think differently
3. Seth Godin and Tom Peters on social networking, the internet and blogging
4. Seth Godin on entrepreneurship, freelancing, communities and shipping
5. The Great Books Series – Linchpin
6. 10 remarkable ChangeThis manifestos you should read